Help with 2 PC's

Alle technisch orientierten Fragen und Diskussionen rund um Internet-Zugänge via ADSL und xDSL (alle DSL-basierenden Technologien).
Forumsregeln
Alle technisch orientierten Fragen und Diskussionen rund um Internet-Zugänge via ADSL und xDSL (alle DSL-basierenden Technologien).

Diskussionen ĂĽber Provider (deren Produkte und Dienstleistungen) werden im Bereich PROVIDER gefĂĽhrt.

Help with 2 PC's

Beitragvon Mark Brown » Sa 22 Jul, 2000 20:21

I have A-Online Speed Alpha, 2 PC's (both with network cards). I have connected the PC's to a 4 port Hub, and the hub to the Home ADSL modem.

With this setup, both PC's can make connections to the internet, but not at the same time.

Both have been configured with different IP addresses.

What have I done wrong? Should both PC's be able to connect and share the ADSL channel?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark
Mark Brown

RE: Help with 2 PC's

Beitragvon Manuel Capellari » Sa 22 Jul, 2000 20:51

hi mark,

there is nothing wrong, but you have to set up one machine as proxy-server or router.

this machine needs 2 network interface controllers, the IP-addresses for those nic's should look like this:

eth0 (primary network controller) 192.168.0.1 this one should be connected to the hub

eth1 (secundary network controller) 10.0.0.140 <- connect your ADSL-Router here

now it depens from you operating system, you can setup a router or a proxy server (setting up a win9x router without additional software is a very hard job)

the easier way is to set up a proxy server, for windows i prefer the sambar proxy server which you can get absolute freely from www.sambar.com

once this software is installed and configured the hard pard is done, now you just have to set up the proxy server in the 2nd pc's browser ...

thats all ...

greetings M.
Manuel Capellari

RE: Help with 2 PC's

Beitragvon Mark Brown » Sa 22 Jul, 2000 21:09

M.
Thanks for the quick reply.
I am not sure I understand. Are you saying that I need 3 network cards (2 in one PC and a third for the 2nd)?

I thought the Alcatel ASDL modem had routing capability. Is there any configuration that would allow both PC's to connect as shown in the Alcatel manual?

Thanks for you help.
Mark
Mark Brown

ZurĂĽck zu ADSL & xDSL